Re: DOMAIN/composite TYPE vs. base TYPE

От Joe Abbate
Тема Re: DOMAIN/composite TYPE vs. base TYPE
Дата
Re: DOMAIN/composite TYPE vs. base TYPE  ("Gavan Schneider" <list.pg.gavan@pendari.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Hello Rob,

On 28/9/20 17:17, Rob Sargent wrote:
> just record all three fields (day, month, year) with nulls and do the to-date as needed.

That is not sufficient.  An earlier implementation had something like a
CHAR(8) to record YYYYMMDD, but how can you indicate, for example, an
issue date of a bimonthly magazine, say July-Aug 2020?  We can store
2020-07-01 in the DATE attribute, but we need another attribute to
indicate it's really two months.  Also, by storing three separate
columns, you loose the beauty of the PG DATE abstraction.

Joe

Сообщение: Re: DOMAIN/composite TYPE vs. base TYPE
Сообщение: Re: DOMAIN/composite TYPE vs. base TYPE