Re: pg_receivewal starting position

От Ronan Dunklau
Тема Re: pg_receivewal starting position
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Le jeudi 2 septembre 2021, 08:42:22 CEST Bharath Rupireddy a écrit :
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 11:15 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
>
> <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > At Wed, 1 Sep 2021 10:30:05 +0530, Bharath Rupireddy
> > <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote in>

> > > IMO, pg_receivewal should have a way to turn off/on using
> > > READ_REPLICATION_SLOT. Imagine if the postgres server doesn't support
> > > READ_REPLICATION_SLOT (a lower version) but for some reasons the
> > > pg_receivewal(running separately) is upgraded to the version that uses
> > > READ_REPLICATION_SLOT, knowing that the server doesn't support
> > > READ_REPLICATION_SLOT why should user let pg_receivewal run an
> > > unnecessary code?
> >
> > If I read the patch correctly the situation above is warned by the
> > following message then continue to the next step giving up to identify
> > start position from slot data.
> >
> > > "server does not suport fetching the slot's position, resuming from the
> > > current server position instead">
> > (The message looks a bit too long, though..)
> >
> > However, if the operator doesn't know the server is old, pg_receivewal
> > starts streaming from unexpected position, which is a kind of
> > disaster. So I'm inclined to agree to Bharath, but rather I imagine of
> > an option to explicitly specify how to determine the start position.
> >
> > --start-source=[server,wal,slot]  specify starting-LSN source, default is
> >
> >                      trying all of them in the order of wal, slot, server.
> >
> > I don't think the option doesn't need to accept multiple values at once.
>
> If --start-source = 'wal' fails, then pg_receivewal should show up an
> error saying "cannot find start position from <<user-specified-wal>>
> directory, try with "server" or "slot" for --start-source". We might
> end having similar errors for other options as well. Isn't this going
> to create unnecessary complexity?
>
> The existing way the pg_receivewal fetches start pos i.e. first from
> wal directory and then from server start position, isn't known to the
> user at all, no verbose message or anything specified in the docs. Why
> do we need to expose this with the --start-source option? IMO, we can
> keep it that way and we can just have a way to turn off the new
> behaviour that we are proposing here, i.e.fetching the start position
> from the slot's restart_lsn.

Then it should probably be documented. We write in the docs that it is
strongly recommended to use a replication slot, but do not mention how we
resume from have been already processed.

If someone really cares about having control over how the start position is
defined instead of relying on the auto detection, it would be wiser to add a --
startpos parameter similar to the endpos one, which would override everything
else, instead of different flags for different behaviours.

Regards,

--
Ronan Dunklau