Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head
Дата
Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
>> Really?  What aspect of postgis requires mucking with
>> shared_preload_libraries?

> Having to have the libraries in place is what I was getting at, which is
> what Andres was also talking about, if I understood correctly.

Right, I agree with that: you need to have installed all the software
you're using, where "installed" means "the executable files are built
and placed where they need to be in the filesystem".

> Having to also deal with shared_preload_libraries for some cases doesn't
> strike me as a huge issue.

I think it is, especially if what we're offering as a workaround is "write
a custom script and make sure that your pg_upgrade wrapper script has an
option to call that halfway through".  Rube Goldberg would be proud.

It's possible that the problem here is not so much reliance on
shared_preload_libraries as it is that there's no provision in
pg_upgrade for dealing with the need to set it.  But one way or
the other, this is a usability fail.