Re: recompliing c-language functions with new releases of postgres

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: recompliing c-language functions with new releases of postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"TJ O'Donnell" <tjo@acm.org> writes:
> Presumably, the only reason I would HAVE TO recompile
> is when some header file changes.  Is there any guarantee
> that header files DO NOT change, for example from
> 7.4.5 to 7.4.8 or even 7.4.12?  Can I assume that header
> file changes only occur between major pg changes, such as
> 7.3 to 7.4, or 8.0 to 8.1?

Uh, no, not really; see complaint from Thomas Hallgren in -hackers
just yesterday.  We don't normally change internal APIs in patch
releases; in fact we don't change anything we don't have to.  But
we will change 'em if needed to fix a bug.

You might want to eyeball the proposed "magic block" for loadable
modules:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-05/msg00124.php