Re: [GENERAL] PgPool or alternatives

От Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PgPool or alternatives
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi.

I had to implement something similar some time ago. Basically, a group of database servers (postgres) geographically
distributed,with each one having a group of servers in each datacenter, and each server preferring the nearest database
server,but allowing connections to a further one if the nearest is down.

After going through different solutions (pgpool between them), I got to Postgres BDR with HAProxy. Each app server
connectsto the local HAProxy, which forwards the connection to the nearest available database server(preference is set
directlyin the HAProxy configuration). That way, I get high availability and replication happens really fast, right
afterthe transaction is committed.

The only drawback with Postgres BDR is it has some limitations:

- New databases are NOT replicated; but you can have any number of databases with no problem.
- Users & roles must be replicated manually, as BDR works at database-level.
- There are some DDL restrictions: mostly due to how BDR works internally. In my experience, none of them has been a
realproblem. Full list: http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/ddl-replication-statements.html
- DDL replication may sometimes mean automatic cancellation of running transactions. so it must be carefully planned.
However,consider TEMPORARY TABLES are not replicated, so DDL on them is not affected by BDR restrictions.
- Even when BDR documentations says nothing about this, it can have trouble replicating really large transactions. In
myexperience, my BDR cluster stopped replicating (had to rebuild it) when an app made a 8 million records update in a
singletransaction. Since that app was corrected, nothing similar has ever happened, and I think most apps should not
haveproblems with this.

Alvaro Aguayo
Jefe de Operaciones
Open Comb Systems E.I.R.L.

Oficina: (+51-1) 3377813 | RPM: #034252 / (+51) 995540103  | RPC: (+51) 954183248
Website: www.ocs.pe