Re: v12 and pg_restore -f-

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: v12 and pg_restore -f-
Дата
Re: v12 and pg_restore -f-  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> "Tom" == Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>  Tom> Perhaps we could change the back branches so that they interpret
>  Tom> "-f -" as "write to stdout", but without enforcing that you use
>  Tom> that syntax.

> We should definitely do that.

>  Tom> Alternatively, we could revert the v12 behavior change. On the
>  Tom> whole that might be the wiser course. I do not think the costs and
>  Tom> benefits of this change were all that carefully thought through.

> Failing to specify -d is a _really fricking common_ mistake for
> inexperienced users, who may not realize that the fact that they're
> seeing a ton of SQL on their terminal is not the normal result.
> Seriously, this comes up on a regular basis on IRC (which is why I
> suggested initially that we should do something about it).

No doubt, but that seems like a really poor excuse for breaking
maintenance scripts in a way that basically can't be fixed.  Even
with the change suggested above, scripts couldn't rely on "-f -"
working anytime soon, because you couldn't be sure whether a
back-rev pg_restore had the update or not.

The idea I'm leaning to after more thought is that we should change
*all* the branches to accept "-f -", but not throw an error if you
don't use it.  Several years from now, we could put the error back in;
but not until there's a plausible argument that nobody is running
old versions of pg_restore anymore.