Re: Excessive CPU usage in StandbyReleaseLocks()

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Excessive CPU usage in StandbyReleaseLocks()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2018-06-19 13:05:48 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I don't expect you to agree with my vote, but I stand by it.

> Yea, I didn't expect (but hoped!) to change your mind... ;)

FWIW, I agree with Robert --- a PANIC here will certainly create
problems, and it's much less clear what problems it might prevent.

However, the trouble with LOG is that we would be unlikely to
notice such a message in testing, so that a test case triggering
an issue of this type would not get recognized as such.

Hence, I have a modest proposal: use elog(LOG) followed by Assert(false),
so that debug builds report such problems loudly but production builds
do not.  We've done that before, see e.g. load_relcache_init_file around
relcache.c:5718.