Re: simple? join

От Frank Bax
Тема Re: simple? join
Дата
Re: simple? join  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-sql
At 12:22 AM 1/6/02 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>Frank Bax writes:
>> EMPLOYEE table contains: emp, first, last (emp is unique key)
>> TIMESHEET table contains: emp, timestamp, hours
>> I want to report employee name and total hours.
>> SELECT first, last, sum(ts.hours)
>>   FROM timesheet ts, employee emp
>>  WHERE ts.emp = emp.emp
>>  GROUP by emp.emp, first, last
>>  ORDER BY last, first;
>>
>> It seems silly to specify extraneous "group by" fields.
>
>There's nothing "extraneous" there.  Both first and last could be
>duplicated, so you need to group by each one.

But first and last can't be duplicated if emp is defined as unique.  If I
am also selecting a dozen or so other fields from "employee" table, must I
also include them all in the GROUP BY clause, even though I know "emp"
identifies a unique row in this table?

Frank

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: