Re: Postgresqlism & Vacuum?

От Frank Bax
Тема Re: Postgresqlism & Vacuum?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

From http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/sql-vacuum.htm

>VACUUM serves two purposes in Postgres as both a means to reclaim
>storage and also a means to collect information for the optimizer.

I'm guessing here, but it would seem to me that once the 'reclaim' portion
was written, it probably seemed like a good a place as any to put the
stat-collecting code?  As long as the entire database was being scanned
anyway, why not collect statistics.

Perhaps its time for the two functions to be separated - controlled by an
option?
Perhaps VACUUM STATONLY could collect stats, not lock table and not reclaim
space.

Actually, I'm thinking any seq-scan could collect the stats on the way
through?

Frank