Re: index and queries using '<' '>'

От Marc Boucher
Тема Re: index and queries using '<' '>'
Дата
Re: index and queries using '<' '>'  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
At 08:16 19/11/2004 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> The table currently contains just over 10000 elements. So 238 rows is a
>> small part of it.
> No, small is typically less than 1%. This depends on the size of the rows
> and how much better accessing disk blocks sequentially is in your
> enviroment and the size of your cache.
PG runs on an old computer (200Mhz, 64MB ram); this is probably part of my
"problem". With modern hard drives, sequential scan could be faster.

> Because your table is so small it will probably all be cached after being
> read through once, so you may want to tune your config settings to
> say than random disk access costs only a little more than sequential
> access.
I think that the indexes are all cached after a while, but I doubt that the
tables can.

> However, you need to be careful if your table is going to grow
> a lot larger.
The whole database is quite large (that is for the computer it is on).

>> Since the table is still growing, and the amount of rows in the reply of
>> the query is quite uniform (it's not dependant on the size of the table), I
>> hope that the statistics will evolve in a state that will force the use of
>> the index.
> Index scans aren't always faster than sequential scans.
I know that, but I've some comparisons with other queries. And someone
advised me to try "set enable_seqscan=off;". It takes 50-60% (after
checking right now) less to use the index. Unfortunately I can't use this
setting, the query being part of a larger query (joins), and the time
gained on this particular index is partially lost on the joins.

--
Marc

От: Bruno Wolff III
Сообщение: Re: index and queries using '<' '>'
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: How to make lo_import and lo_export to use file on client local machine?