Re: pg_dump: Sorted output, referential integrity

От Philip Warner
Тема Re: pg_dump: Sorted output, referential integrity
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 10:34 11/12/01 -0500, Jan Wieck wrote:

>    We don't want to define  the  constraints  with  ALTER  TABLE
>    because this means checking data on restore that doesn't need
>    to be checked at all (in theory).  If he has  a  crash  of  a
>    critical system and restores from a dump, I bet the farm that
>    he wants it FAST.

This is just an argument for (a) using ALTER TABLE (since it will
also prevent PK indexes being created, and make it FASTer), and
(b) the ability to 'SET ALL CONSTRAINTS OFF' (or similar) to
prevent the ALTER TABLE from forcing validation of the constraint.

The current situation of creating constraint triggers is IMO not
acceptable in the long term.

There are also enough people who just restore one table to warrant
the ability for pg_dump to optionally run with constraints ON.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/