Failed Connection (again)

От Gonzo Programming
Тема Failed Connection (again)
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Having HUGE troubles connecting to a pgDatabase. I have been struggling with this for 3 days now...

I Have scoured the docs, and this jdbc list archive without success. I would Love to find a mentor who might spend a
bitof time getting me past this obstacle. Yes, I am new to java. :(

-----------
The Details,

1) I have pgSQL running on RedHat7.1 and have connected to it with pgAccess and created a few tables and populated them
withsome data.

2) I have installed pgAdmin on a NT machine on the network and accessed the data on the Linux machine described above.

3) I am developing a simple program on the NT machine and I have copied some example code from a JavaTutorial and
compiledand made it work to access a MSAccess db locally on the on the NT machine running JDK1.3

4.) I have read the Docs written by Peter Mount and have modified the code in what seem reasoable ways to access the
pgDatabase...all to no avail.

4a) I have renamed jdb7.0-1.1.jar to postgresql.jar and then copied that .jar file into as many places as seems
reasonableand not so reasonable(yes I have copies all over the place at present), yet still get this error at run time.

H:\JavaLessons\ch18\fig18_24>java TableDisplayPG1
Failed to load JDBC/ODBC driver.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.postgresql.Driver
       and about 10 more lines of errors...

--------

Is there someone with a big heart and brain who would spend some time helping me get this working... I suspect once I
doI'll be sailing(yeah right). Maybe set up and instant message chat or something to work it through... The source code
isbelow.  Thanks to whom ever has some time.

Gonzo feeling like a bozo!

-----------
Source code
*************
// This works
*************
// The URL specifying the Books database to which
// this program connects using JDBC to connect to a
// Microsoft ODBC database.
   String url = "jdbc:odbc:Books";
   String username = "anonymous";
   String password = "guest";

*************
// This DOES NOT work!!
*************
// The URL specifying the test database to which
// this program connects using JDBC to connect to a
// postgres database on the network somewhere.
   String url = "jdbc://10.0.0.15:5432/test";
   String username = "postgres";
   String password = "";

*************
// This works
*************
// Load the driver to allow connection to the database
   try {
      Class.forName( "sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver" );
      connection = DriverManager.getConnection(
      url, username, password );
      }
   catch ( ClassNotFoundException cnfex ) {
      System.err.println(
         "Failed to load JDBC/ODBC driver." );
      cnfex.printStackTrace();
      System.exit( 1 );  // terminate program
// This DOES NOT work!
// Load the driver to allow connection to the database
   try {
      Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");