Re: pg_dump issues

От Philip Warner
Тема Re: pg_dump issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 14:48 24/01/01 -0500, Rod Taylor wrote:
>Could we add a flag to remove the postgres specific information from a
>pg_dump?

It's easy enough to do, but removing all PG-specific information is
probably undesirable since, eg, pg_dump does not dump foreign key
constraints in a standard way (it just dumps the rules). pg_dump also
issues '\connect' statements, and will dump user-defined types, rules and
functions that will probably not conform to the SQL standard.

Over time I would like to see the output of pg_dump become as standard as
possible - but in the mean time, would people see any value in a flag to do
any of the following:

(a) disable modifications to system tables (eg. turning off triggers and
constraints)

(b) just disable code which turns off the triggers? Or something else...

(c) something else....

I can actually see value in (b) since people may want to load a single
table *and* have triggers operating.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/