Re: signals in ODBC?

От Philip Warner
Тема Re: signals in ODBC?
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
At 10:43 26/10/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>Not sure I see the point.  If there's to be a separate connection, you
>might as well just fire up a libpq connection.  Someone else already
>pointed out that you could use ODBC for your main data transfer, if you
>like ODBC, and use a second connection through libpq only to get
>notifications.

I hadn't realized libpq worked without Cygwin etc.

>AFAIK there's no fundamental reason that NOTIFY support couldn't be
>added to our ODBC driver, it's just that it would fall outside the
>ODBC API spec.  But then a second connection through libpq isn't ODBC
>compliant either.

I suspect that a libpq connection would be the go; there is no facility
that I am aware of in ODBC for async callbacks, which is what you'd want
for the NOTIFY stuff to work well.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/