Re: AW: backup and restore

От Philip Warner
Тема Re: AW: backup and restore
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 16:21 12/10/00 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

>> Could this be added? I am willing to help with the coding.
>
>This is what Version 7.1 WAL is all about.
>There might be some help wanted in one of the possible backup methods:
>    1. a pg_dumpall restore, and a subsequent restore of logs
>    2. a restore of a "physical backup of db files" + subsequent restore of logs
>
>I think Vadim has the 1st way in his works.

My guess is that there are some issues to resolve: I presume the WAL uses
OID to identify rows, which will mean that BLOB restoration won't work
because it changes the OID of the BLOB. Also, pg_dump will restore row OIDs
for table data, but not the OID for such things as sequences. Guessing
again, I'd say that sequence updates in the WAL will also be OID based.

It's definitely true that the WAL is an essential first step to proper
backup, but there's probably the need to write a backup utility as well.
Unless of course Vadim has done that as well...

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/