Re: PostgreSQL & the BSD License

От Philip Warner
Тема Re: PostgreSQL & the BSD License
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 09:34 7/07/00 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>am investigating this right now ...
>
>On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>
>> > Now, a) is easily fixable by just extending the date to 2000, but that
>> > still only covers "UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA", and none of the actual
>> > developers ...
>>
>> afaik we can't unilaterally alter the original license, either for dates
>> or for participants. However, we can send along a second license (or
>> first, primary, license) in the same file.
>>
>>                       - Thomas

FWIW, this is the information I got in answer to the question "given that
the source is
already under the BSD, is it even possible to change it, however slight
those changes might be?"

Answer: "Only in respect of those who agree to the change - that is why
unincorporated bodies have rules which allow for majority etc approval to
rules - which effectively constitute a contract between members - this has
implications for your community - you could perhaps agree to a mechanism for
defining the group and agreeing to changes with less than everyone approving
- this would make updating the licence possible - rather than virtually
impossible as it is now - but this introduces substantial complexity which
you are trying to avoid.  However I suspect that these sorts of groups will
eventually have to do this to avoid becoming unwieldy unless the technology
becomes out of date first"

I guess the key bit is "rather than virtually impossible as it is now". So,
I am now asking him how he would define our 'community': my inclination is
that it has to include the WW Dev team, and almost certainly the users. Or
at least those users who have 'registered', but we'll see.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/