Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От Lincoln Yeoh
Тема Re: Postgresql usage clip.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 10:28 PM 29-05-2000 -0400, Brett W. McCoy wrote:
>On Tue, 30 May 2000, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
>
>> >What an insulting article!  They say that PostgreSQL is "equal" in
>> >efficiency to MS SQL.  The rest of it was pretty good, though.
>>
>> Actually it said efficacy - more like effectiveness. You can be efficient
>> but not effective and vice versa.
>
>Efficient but not effective... you mean like MySQL? :-P

Now, now, be nice :).

MySQL is pretty good at most of the things it does and attempts to do. And
I really like the GET LOCK feature/function, is it possible to add
something like that to Postgresql?

And it's fast :).

It seems that with fsync off Postgresql can be just as fast with updates,
but I'm still reluctant to do that as data recovery methods don't seem as
developed on Postgresql - arguably you could say because there's less need
of them compared to other databases ;). But that may only be true if fsync
is _on_.

(I get the impression that you can specify fsync on a per connection basis
with v7.0, that'll be real cool - will be tempted to start up two
connections per app).

How fast comparatively are inserts for Postgresql?

Cheerio,
Link.