Re: OID rollover?

От Lincoln Yeoh
Тема Re: OID rollover?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 01:54 PM 10-04-2000 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Charles Martin wrote:
>
>> What happens to my database when the OID rolls over?
>
>A simple-minded calculation yields that you would have to create about 1
>million new (not updated) records every day for more than 10 years to
>exhaust the oid space. By the time that becomes a problem we'll all have
>64 bit machines in anticipation of Y2038 anyway.

So if I'm a hotmail wannabe and I have 100000 users and the average user
receives 50 emails a day (half spam ;) ), in two years I'm in trouble?

And that's if they don't compose any emails or do anything else and the
OIDs increment only by one each time. If the OIDs increase by much more
than one, I'm in big trouble with a lot fewer users.

What I noticed is that when you start a new database connection, the OID
starting numbers jump to the next block of 32 numbers. Within the session,
the OIDs are gradually incremented - even if there are rollbacks, the OID
numbers do jump to the next block to avoid other used OIDs.

Fortunately I use persistent database connections, so the big jumps should
not happen so often, but what really happens when the OID rolls over? Do
the unused/skipped OIDs get used without any problems? Or will postgres go
postal?

>> If the answer is "doom", is there anything I can do about it?
>Dump and reload your database. Unless you are actually *using* all of them

Ow. So it will really be doom??

Will there be any early warnings of doom? e.g. The faithful going about
proclaiming "Reload for The End is Near!" (surrounded by daemons and being
killed of course).

Cheerio,

Link.

p.s. Doom™ Id Software :).