Re: [HACKERS] Aggregates with context - a question

От Philip Warner
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Aggregates with context - a question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I have attached the latest attempt at my stats functions. They are defined for int4, float4 and float8, and now use a
'text'type to store context information. This gets rid of the need to pass pointers as int4, but brings me to the next
question:

is it OK to store 'binary' data (possibly containing \0) in a text field, so long as that field is never displayed?

If it is, then I presume text fields are the best approach to preserving context in complex aggregate functions. Is
thisreasonable?

Any further (polite) suggestions would be welcome.

If all is OK, my final question is: would people be happy to incorporate such code into PG for general use once all
relevanttypes are supported?

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
Tel: +61-03-5367 7422            |                 _________  \
Fax: +61-03-5367 7430            |                 ___________ |