RE: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN

От Don Baccus
Тема RE: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 01:43 PM 6/10/00 +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> [...]

Oracle gives you the choice between the "cheating" fast method(s) and
the "real" slow (really slow?) real method.

So there's at least real world experience by virtue of example by
the world's most successful database supplier that user control
over "hide the column" and "really delete the column" is valuable.

It really makes a lot of sense to give such a choice.  If one
does so by "hiding", at a later date one would think the choice
of "really deleting" would be a possibility.  I don't know if
Oracle does this...

If not, they might not care.  In today's world, there are bazillions
of dollars for Oracle to scoop up from users who could just as easily
be PG users - all those "we'll fail if don't IPO 'cause we'll never
have any customers" database-backed websites :)