Re: Proposal: TRUNCATE TABLE table RESTRICT

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: Proposal: TRUNCATE TABLE table RESTRICT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 10:43 AM 6/8/00 -0400, Mike Mascari wrote:

>Just curious, Don. But could you check to see what Oracle's
>behavior is on this? That's the feature I was trying to mirror.
>At the time, RI wasn't integrated so I wasn't thinking about this
>issue.

Sure, I understand.

> And the Oracle docs state that DML triggers aren't fired
>when a TRUNCATE is issued, so I didn't think there would be
>issues there. Could you check?

It refuses to do the TRUNCATE, whether or not there's a
"ON DELETE CASCADE" modifier to the references.

That seems reasonable - it allows one to still say "truncate's
really fast because it doesn't scan the rows in the table",
and refuses to break RI constraints.

All that needs doing is to check for the existence of
at least one RI trigger on the table that's being truncated,
and saying "no way, jose" if we want to mimic Oracle in
this regard.

TODO item?