Re: Proposal: TRUNCATE TABLE table RESTRICT

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: Proposal: TRUNCATE TABLE table RESTRICT
Дата
Re: Proposal: TRUNCATE TABLE table RESTRICT  (Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp>)
Re: Proposal: TRUNCATE TABLE table RESTRICT  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At 09:24 PM 6/8/00 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>It seems the truncate command deletes all rows from a table even it is
>referenced by another tables. TRUNCATE is not in the standard any way,
>so I would not claim this is a bug. However, sometimes it would be
>helpful for a user to let him notice that the table about to be
>truncated is referenced by some tables. So I would propose to add
>"RESTRICT" option to the command. I mean if RESTRICT is specified,
>TRUNCATE will fail if the table is referenced.

Shouldn't it always fail if an explicit foreign key reference
exists to the table, in much the way that delete of a referenced
row does?  If it doesn't now, I think it's a bug.

If the references are implicit (no REFERENCE or FOREIGN KEY given
to inform the db of the relationship) then a RESTRICT option to
truncate does seem useful.