Re: day of week

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: day of week
Дата
Re: day of week  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At 10:52 PM 6/5/00 +0200, Karel Zak wrote:

>We have for same questions different answers now:
>
>(DAY OF WEEK)
>
>test=# select date_part('dow', now());
> date_part
>-----------
>         1
>(1 row)
>
>test=# select to_char(now(), 'D');
> to_char
>---------
> 2
>(1 row)
>

>For to_char() I use POSIX definition of 'tm' where week start on Sunday.
>
>Is it right? (Exuse me, I see archive, but without some effect...).
>
>Or we will support both styles?

to_char() gives the same answer with Oracle, as it is supposed to
and as you intended it to.

I personally don't find it all that disconcerting that the two give
different answers.  Change the old, PG way and lots of old code
is likely to break.  Change to_char() and the desired compatibility
with Oracle breaks.

I think it boils down to needing good documentation ???