Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 10:18 PM 1/13/00 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Oracle tables and indices within a single tablespace all live in
>> one file (if you're using filesystem rather than raw I/O), so
>> they also provide features which allow you to specify how big
>> a chunk to allocate per extent (Oracle pre-allocates to avoid
>> running out of disk space while you're running except in ways
>> that you control, and in hopes of getting contiguous chunks of
>> disk storage because they hope you're using previously empty
>> disks used only for Oracle).
>
>And with data and index in the same file, you can't split them across
>spindles.

Which is why folks define more than one tablespace, eh?  Something
you can't do in PG...

Perhaps I didn't make it clear that you can define as many
tablespaces as you want?

And freely assign any table or index to any tablespace you
want?

Given my statement above, it is clear you can:

1. Coalesce indices and tables into a single tablespace (the  default) if you only define one (again, more or less how
Oracledefaults, though I sorta forget because I'm not an  Oracle stud and no one in their right mind allows Oracle to
setdefaults, because they're always wrong)

-or-

2. At the other extreme, you can define as many tablespaces as   you have tables and indices, and each can live in
theirown  separate tablespace (i.e. spindle, if that is what you want  to do).

-or-

3. Set yourself up at any point between either extreme, according  to your own needs.

I don't think it's that difficult to understand, is it?

Сообщение: RE: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed