Re: [HACKERS] Notation for nextval() (was Re: Several small patches)

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Notation for nextval() (was Re: Several small patches)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 08:35 PM 12/16/99 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

>presumably I don't want a join against the sequence foo, but I am not
>sure that this will be clear either to a human reader or to the machine.

I haven't personally heard of any human readers of Oracle SQL getting
confused by this notation... :)

On the other hand, I think nextval(foo) makes more sense, it's a
function operating on the sequence foo, not part of foo.  nextval('foo')
is just bizarre, though it's clear and I can't say I worry much about
it now that I'm used to it!

In the porting-from-Oracle project I'm working on, we're just
regsub'ing all foo.nextval's into nextval('foo').