Re: [HACKERS] memory dilemma

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] memory dilemma
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 01:40 PM 12/27/99 +0100, Karel Zak - Zakkr wrote:

>    not use cache - hmm.. but I like fast routines (my current
>    to_char() implementation is faster (20-50%) than current
>    date_part()).

While fast routines are nice indeed, isn't it true in practice
that to_char() times will be swamped by the amount of time to
parse, plan, and execute a query in most cases?

Trivial cases like "select to_char('now'::datetime,...)" can't in
general be cached anyway, since 'now' is always changing...

Your caching code needs to guarantee that it can't leak memory
in any circumstance.  In environments where database servers
run 24/7 that's far more important than minor increases in
speed.