Re: [HACKERS] Parallel regress tests (was Re: FOREIGN KEY andshift/reduce)

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Parallel regress tests (was Re: FOREIGN KEY andshift/reduce)
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Parallel regress tests (was Re: FOREIGN KEY andshift/reduce)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At 04:57 AM 12/9/99 +0100, Jan Wieck wrote:

>    I know, that there are similar powerful  languages  availabel
>    (perl for one).  It's just that I looked for a good scripting
>    language some years ago and found Tcl (version  7.4  at  that
>    time).  Today  it  is such a magic tool for someone, familiar
>    with the C language, that I think it  was  one  of  the  best
>    coices  I  ever  made.

And this is the scripting language embedded in the NaviSoft, later
AOLserver web server.  Your comments pretty much sum things up.

There's an official port of the ArsDigita Community System to postgres
(from Oracle) underway.

This is in some sense the wrong forum to mention such things, but in
another sense it is the right forum, because mainstream database server
companies are pouring everything they've got into "web-ifying" their
tools.

But, really, with a lightweight threaded server like AOLserver and an
excellent Tcl API, middleware and such is really not necessary.  We think
the port's going to be excellent, though I'm steadily building up a list
of Postgres bugs to report (I'll wait until I have a dozen or so).  One
symptom of PotgreSQL's stability in 6.5.* is that the bugs are of the
reproducible, mostly language-oriented kind and because of this they're
easy to isolate and work-around (not always the truth in a multi-threaded
environment such as typifies AOLserver).

The enthusiasm for this in-progress port's pretty surprising, given that
we only announced it four-five days ago and even then more or less under
duress.

PostgreSQL, though, has the potential to be an ideal web db server for
small-to-mid-range sites.  Given that Oracle wants like $22,500 for a
fully paid up license for a single-processor P500, you can understand
the interest for integrating these tools, which have been used to build
a number of high-profile sites.