Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?

От Tim Uckun
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>On the other hand, I have been using MS-SQL 7 for several months now, for
>another project, and am not at all happy with it -- it has crashed on me
>several times (because of some flaky OCXs), even though I was only doing
>database design and not doing production work, and I am frustrated by the
>lack of user-defined functions that I have taken for granted in
>PostgreSQL.

I think this is an excellant discussion that really needs to be posted in
the FAQ. I searches through the FAQ and the docs looking for a feature list
and or a comparison with other major databases and I saw verly little info.
Specifically there should be matrix of features with MS SQL7.0 Oracle,
Informix, Sybase, and Interbase.  If at all possible benchmarks should be
posted or at least some phrasing stating which are faster at what features.
It would be very helpful for a potential Postgreas user to know what they
are getting into.

Maybe it's not fair to compare Postgres to Oracle especially given the
costs involved but it could be useful in a cost benefit analysis (sure
Oracle has feature X but Do I really need it and how much do I want to pay
for it).

Another thing that is needed is some sort of a front end tool like access
to generate forms, reports, tables etc. I know that a programmer could whip
something up using TK/GTK or java but I am thinking about an end user.

Finally: Until I can replace Access I need to have postgress to play nice
with my windows desktops so I need really good ODBC/ADO support.
             Tim Uckun
      Mobile Intelligence Unit.
   "There are some who call me TIM?"