Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.

От Mike Cox
Тема Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Devin L. Ganger wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:03:57 -0800, Mike Cox <mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>  Devin L. Ganger wrote:
>
>> > I think you're pursuing this backwards, Mike. You should contact the
>> > current owner of the present mail-to-news gateway and build some sort
>> > of consensus with *him* on what the problem and proposed solution is,
>> > before trying to create a solution that will only muddy the waters up
>> > even farther.
>> >
>> > This person made a choice to use Big 8 namespace on his server (and
>> > other servers). His server, his rules. Maybe he can be brought to the
>> > table to discuss why that isn't the easy fix he thought it was and
>> > figure out what the best way to go is from here.
>
>>  That is way beyond my technical scope I'm afraid.  I wouldn't know what
>>  the correct solution would be.
>
> No one ever said you have to do it *alone*. There are folks here who
> would be more than willing to *help* you do it, but they're not going
> to do it for you.
>
>>  Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>, seems very knowledgable about this,
>>  and I would be pleased if you could mail the postgresql list person
>>  about this discussion and Russ's email address.
>
> Russ is a busy person; don't be so quick to volunteer his time for him
> unless you're damn sure you have his permission. Even if he were not a
> busy person, most people consider it to be rude to be volunteered
> without their consent.
>
>>  Basically if the mailing list-news-gateway doesn't want to be in the big
>>  8 then I'm not going to continue in that process.
>
> Which is fair, but since you're the person who *did* kick this off, you
> should probably be the person to email the owner and ask him if he would
> be willing to have a conversation with you about the best way to proceed
> from here.

I'm frankly scared to talk to him.  I'm afraid he might scream at me or
something for starting this off without talking to him first.  I would be
pretty upset if someone just tried to promote my mailing-list/news-gateway
to the big 8 without consulting me first.  I do have ignorance as an excuse
since until a few days ago I didn't even know how usenet group creation
even worked.  Heck, I didn't even know that the postgresql groups were
connected to the mailing list!!!

I was like a regular person trying to litigate a complex legal case pro se.
Now I have egg on my face for biting off more than I could chew.

From what I've heard from someone on this newsgroup is that it didn't fly
over too well in the mailing list member's private emails.  I'm assuming
that the list owner was upset.  I seriously doubt I have the political
capital to complete the process.  I'm sure if someone else decides it is a
worthy cause, they will at least have the precedent of what I did to guide
them.

I tried googling to see if anyone had attempted to make the postgresql
groups non-bogus, but there were no pervious efforts.

> You should also probably take a step back and contact the group mentor
> list <group-mentors@lists.eyrie.org> and get some advice and participation
> from the folks there, no matter which way you intend to pursue this.
> Again, there are people who will help, but you need to be willing to run
> point on this even though it's likely not going to be the slam-dunk you
> thought it would be initially.

Сообщение: Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.
Сообщение: Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.