Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.

От Mike Cox
Тема Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Woodchuck Bill wrote:

> Mike Cox <mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>>  I cannot handle the volume of email that a mailing list would place
>>  on my
>> inbox.
>
> Ever heard of a digest version?

I don't care. Its too much of a hassle to dig through without being able to
google groups search it.

I'm pretty much done with this anyway.  It is a waste of time putting in
anymore effort since no one seems to want it.

Here are the steps I went through.

1.  I tried subscribing to comp.databases.postgresql.general through my
usenet provider thinking it was a regular big 8 group.  When it wasn't
found, I sent a request to my news provider to include it.

2. My news provider emailed me back saying it was "bogus" and they would not
carry it.

3.  How could it be "bogus" I thought.  It is a legitimate project with
years of history.  It has won numerous awards.  I did a search on google
and found out that it was indeed "bogus".  Simple enough I thought.
Obviously the postgresql folks are way too busy developing the features of
postgresql to have time to go through a rigerous process of RFD and CFV
which takes about a month to complete.

Given that they named their group under the big 8 namespace, it seemed
obvious to me that they wanted to be there.  I'm not a programmer so I
thought I could contribute by going through the process for them.  I tried
posting to the group but my mail bounced.  I searched but I couldn't find
out how to make it post to the mailing list.

Well, an RFD is a Request for Discussion so what better way to get the ball
rolling on what is basically a formality because they are *already* on
usenet, just in a "bogus" way.  I would go through the rigerous process and
get the group approved, with the knowlegde that the only thing that would
change is that they would be a legitimate member of the comp domain.

4. It seems that it was a much bigger issue than just completing a
formality, such as reminding someone that their domain name had expired.
The big 8 membership seemingly went over badly in private email discussions
between the list members from what I've heard from one usenet poster.  If
it is an ego thing, I've already said that I would let someone take over if
that was the issue.

I've heard a postive response initially from members of the news.groups
group, saying it was a good idea to put them in since they are established,
have readership in usenet, and are well liked.  Many usenet providers also
voiced their support.  They have a choice of bowing to user demand and have
a bogus group in their comp hierarchy or like my provider, refusing to
carry it.  Not pretty in either case.