Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.

От Mike Cox
Тема Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Polarhound wrote:

> Mike Cox wrote:
>
>> There is resistance in the mailing lists however, even though the groups
>> are
>> already on usenet and are in the  managed "big 8" name space without RFD
>> and CFV.
>
> This now brings up the question of traffic numbers.  Historically, if
> people are against a NG, or are already happy with their current method
> of communication, they are unlikely to switch.
>
>> That is why I am now proposing to change it to comp.databases.postresql
>> so it doesn't clash with the mailing list name space of
>> comp.databases.postgresql.general.  If others on the
>> mailing-list/usenet-gateway do want to be proper members of the big 8,
>> then they should speak up.
>
> Wasn't the original point of the whole proposal to legitimize the list
> owner's stupidity in creating the comp.* groups in the first place?

Yes it was.  It was to make them legitimate so I could post through my
usenet provider.  I will probably let the proposal die.  If I were to
create a seperate group, I've realized that then people would be split up
into the usenet and mailing list camps.  That is not my original intention.
My goal was to make the group a proper member of the comp.* hierarchy so
that more people could participate through usenet.

 I cannot handle the volume of email that a mailing list would place on my
inbox.  I will not be able to use the mailing list, only for dire
emergencies where I will have to constantly monitor my inbox so it doesn't
overflow.

I cannot understand why they wouldn't want to be part of the comp.*
hierarchy properly though.  They could still be a mail the list for those
that wanted it, just like they are doing now! The only change is that it
would allow people to post through usenet instead of just being able to get
them on non-standard usenet servers who don't follow the big 8 config file.

We can make the group moderated too if that's their concern.  If Marc or
anyone wants to be a moderator, I see why not.  They could probably have a
script that could allow those on the mailing list to get through faster
too.