PostgreSQL Databse Migration to the Latest Version and Help for Database Replication.

От Krishna Komarpant
Тема PostgreSQL Databse Migration to the Latest Version and Help for Database Replication.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

I am Java Solutions Developer. I have my servers that run PostgreSQL v8.1.11 and they are quit stable.
Recently i was supposed to install a Database Replication tool for the Databases. I realized that i might have to upgrade my database from v8.1 .11 to v8.4
1) Would there be any compatibillity issue if i do this migration at one shot?

2) I have my Java Code that is very vast and it has at many places the PostgreSQL queries well compatible with the current running version( i.e v8.1.11), would the Migration need some changes to be done in the queries?

3) Are there any compatibility mismatch from the version 8.1.11 to the version 8.4 or 8.3

4) Following are the details of the platform on which i have my project running:
    Operating System: CentOS v5.1
    Java Version: v1.4 for the Java Code.
    Web Server: tomcat4
    PostgreSQL Version: PostgreSQL v8.1.11

5) I want to implement a Master-Slave Replication system, and found that SLONY-I is the best that matches with PostgreSQL database system. But this is advisable in an environment where none of the master/slave(s) are having a problem of being detached from the network or frequent power failures. Here with my project this is the case.
Can you suggest a good database replication tool that would replicate my postgreSQL databases it cud be a master-master DB replication tool as well. Not  a problem.
I have tried RubyRep, Bucardo, but none of these have a stable rpm release for CentOS version of Linux Operation System.

Need Help Urgently.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Krishna Komarpant