Re: MySQL -> Postgres migration tools?

От Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Тема Re: MySQL -> Postgres migration tools?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Erik Jones <ejones@engineyard.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Given that the EU has approved Oracle's acquisition of Sun w/ MySQL it's fairly likely that there may be a number of
peopleand companies looking to move from MySQL to Postgres in the coming months.  Does anyone know of any good, current
migrationtools out there?  A search for mysql on pgfoundry only turns up a few projects that haven't seen any recent
updates...

The problem there is not that there are no such tools, but that the
database might need a bit of refinement when you move away from such
simple database engine as MySQL. Most often, either due to lack of
knowledge, or sometimes because you are forced to - the mysql database
won't utilise sometimes even basic features of postgresql (sequences
would be one grand example). On app side, queries would need
refinement. Some of the code can be moved away from app, and into
plpgsql. Tables can be normalised better, since you can successfully
run bit more complicated queries on database side. Etc.

So to summarise, it is two stage process really. And the first stage -
migration, should be fallowed by the database and code refinement
before even the first 'after migration' release. And I believe that
there is numerous sources out there to help people with that. Plus, we
are always trying to be helpful on the list.

--
GJ

От: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Сообщение: Re: What locking mechanism is used for database backup and restore and Master-Slave Replication?
От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: MySQL -> Postgres migration tools?