Re: Query times change by orders of magnitude as DB ages

От Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Тема Re: Query times change by orders of magnitude as DB ages
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
Grzegorz Jaœkiewicz<gryzman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Other way, is to perform regular cluster && reindex

If you CLUSTER there is no reason to REINDEX; indexes are rebuilt by
the CLUSTER command.

Also, if you do a good job with regular VACUUMs, there isn't any bloat
to fix.  In that case a regular CLUSTER would only be needed if it was
worth the cost to keep data physically organized in the index
sequence.

the out of order data layout is primary reason for index bloat. And that happens , and gets worse over time once data is more and more distributed. ("random" deletes, etc).
Thus suggestion of partitioning.  I for one, hope in 8.5 we will get much more user friendly partitioning interface - and we would no longer have to write custom triggers. Which is probably the only reason I am only going to partition a table only if it is really really really ... needed.

--
GJ