Re: installation

От Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Тема Re: installation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Kusuma Pabba <kusumap@ncoretech.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>   i am new to postgresql, i want to create tables in this
>
> i have followed
> 10 Steps to Installing PostgreSQL which is chapter two of installing
> postgresql
>
>   i could follow upto step no 7
>   but i am getting errors from step 8
>   while following the steps i got message like postgresql is sucessfully
> installed
>
> now my doubt if it is installed, how should i start working on it
>   i used
>   sudo su postgres -c psql template1
>   password for my super user:**********
>   then the prompt changed to postgres=#
>
>   what does this implies can i start working on that or do i have to modify
> furthur

> sorry for such a long mail and Thanks for any help!!!!!!!
Quite short actually. Just about enough information.

So I assume it is unix/linux.
if you get postgre=# prompt, you're in psql shell. So you can start
issue queries, create users/databases etc.
For instance, try:

select version();
in that shell.

personally I would suggest following the steps:

sudo su - postgres
createuser <USER NAME>
createdb -U <USER NAME> mydb
exit