Re: procedures and transactions

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: procedures and transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2/19/19 1:48 PM, Rob Nikander wrote:
> I thought if I had some application logic that needed a certain kind of
> transaction (maybe a non-default isolation level), I could hide that
> fact in a procedure. App code (Java/Python/whatever) could remain
> unaware of transactions (except maybe needing to retry after a failure)
> and simply send `call foo(?, ?)` to the DB. But maybe that kind of
> design is not supported, and application code needs to start
> transactions and set isolation levels. Is that accurate?  I supposed a
> procedure could throw an exception if it doesn’t like the value in
> `current_setting('transaction_isolation’)`.

Per the docs in the link David posted:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-call.html

"If CALL is executed in a transaction block, then the called procedure
cannot execute transaction control statements. Transaction control
statements are only allowed if CALL is executed in its own transaction."

So:

psql> begin;
psql> call t_test(1);

will not work.