Re: count(*) performance improvement ideas

От Pavan Deolasee
Тема Re: count(*) performance improvement ideas
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc> wrote:

>  Fine - once per transaction instead of once per insert. Still, if there is
> overhead to this (updating a secondary summary table), does it really make
> sense to have it for every table? Most of my tables do not require count(*)
> on the whole table (actually - none of them do). For the same reason as I
> don't want oid, I don't think I would want "fast count" capabilities to
> impact my regular queries. Again, I don't think count(*) on the whole table
> is a particularly useful case. count(*) on particular subsets of the data
> may be, but of the whole table?

ISTM that you are complaining because we never had an *fast* count(*)
and adding that now comes at a cost. Had it been there from day one with
the same overhead as we are talking about now, nobody would have
complained :-)

Anyways, your point is taken and it would be great if can make it configurable,
if not table level then at least globally.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee

Сообщение: Re: Re: TODO-list on wiki (was: TODO update about SQLSTATE to PGconn)
Сообщение: Re: Re: TODO-list on wiki (was: TODO update about SQLSTATE to PGconn)