Re: HOT Patch - Ready for review

От Pavan Deolasee
Тема Re: HOT Patch - Ready for review
Дата
Список pgsql-patches

On 4/19/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

What's the purpose of the "HeapScanHintPagePrune" mechanism in index
builds? I lost track of the discussion on create index, is the it
necessary for correctness?

Its not required strictly for correctness, but it helps us prune the HOT-chains
while index building. During index build, if we skip a tuple which is
RECENTLY_DEAD, existing transactions can not use the index for queries.
Pruning the HOT-chains reduces the possibility of finding such tuples
while building the index.

A comment in IndexBuildHeapScan explaining
why it's done would be nice.

I would do that.

In any case a PG_TRY/CATCH block should be
used to make sure it's turned off after an unsuccessful index build.

Oh thanks. Would do that too

I would wait for other review comments before submitting a fresh patch.
I hope thats ok.

Thanks,
Pavan
--