Re: A question on PSQL 8.3 setup

От Jong Chun Park
Тема Re: A question on PSQL 8.3 setup
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Yes, it's working now. I appreciate your help. The problem was to not stop
psql process even before doing anything.

Thanks a lot,
Jong

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 01:08:26AM -0600, Jong Chun Park wrote:
> I need to configure PSQL to store all DB-related data into
> /home/pgsql/data instead of somewhere in / such as /var/lib/
> postgresql/8.3/... or /usr/local/pgsql/data.

Assuming you're using the standard builds in Ubuntu, I'd probably do
something like:

1) make your directory if you haven't got one already:
 mkdir /home/postgres
 chown postgres:postgres /home/postgres

2) shut down postgres
 /etc/init.d/postgres-8.3 stop

3) copy the existing database cluster over to its new location
 cp -a /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 /home/postgres

4) move the old cluster out of the way for safe keeping and put a
  symlink back in place
 mv /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 /var/lib/postgresql/8.3-old
 ln -s /home/postgres/8.3 /var/lib/postgresql/8.3

5) start PG again
 /etc/init.d/postgres-8.3 start

if that all works then you've got the option of dumping the old data
that was stashed away above and update the config file to point straight
to the new location.

--
 Sam  http://samason.me.uk/