Re: Failed to initialize 13.2-1 cluster on Windows

От Martin
Тема Re: Failed to initialize 13.2-1 cluster on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Update: I've just tried with version 12.6-1 and works perfectly fine. Clearly, there is some bug in the 13.2-1 published version.

On 2021-03-31 16:35, Martin wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to install 13.2-1 on Windows 10. Previous version was 10.5, installed using the EnterpriseDB installer, without any problems. That version was completely removed before attempting to install 13.2.

EnterpriseDB installer failed to initialize the cluster. The error says that initdb can find postgres executable but it's of a different version. I've read some threads that described permission problems, but I couldn't solve it. What I've tried:

- Installing everything by default (including all default folders)

- Installing on different folders, on C: and D: disks, outside of Program Files.

- Installer is run with "Run as administrator" option

- Tried to execute "initdb -D path/to/data/folder" manually after the installer failed. Same message

- Manually altered permission on installation folder, giving local users full control on the whole folder (programs and data)

- Tried the zip file without installer. Uncompressed everything on a folder outside program files and running initdb by hand. Error: "initdb: error: El programa «postgres» fue encontrado por «C:\Apps\PostgreSQL\13\bin/initdb», pero no es de la misma versión que initdb." BTW, I don't know why messages are in spanish. Although I'm located in Argentina, my windows and every program is installed in english, and english is selected as primary language. But, nevertheless, that's unimportant. Translation is "postgres program was found by initdb, but it's a different version".

- When executing postgres.exe directly, it says "FATAL: XX000: postgres: no se pudo localizar el ejecutable postgres correspondiente. UBICACIÓN: getInstallationPaths, d:\pginstaller_13.auto\postgres.windows-x64\src\backend\postmaster\postmaster.c:1489". That would translate as "could not locate corresponding postgres executable".

I've read somewhere a recommendation to create a separate user "postgres". Although that's common practice on Linux, I've never done it on previous Windows installations. Would that be something to try?

I'm running out of ideas for what else to try. Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin