Re: Symlinking (specific) tables to different Drives

От Mikko Partio
Тема Re: Symlinking (specific) tables to different Drives
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 9/4/07, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@wdc.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm running out of space on one of my partitions and I still have not
gotten all the data loaded yet. I've read that one could symlink the
pg_pg_xlog directory to another drive. I'm wondering if I can do the
same for specific tables as well.

Create another tablespace to the new location and the ALTER TABLE ... TABLESPACE newtablespace.

Thanks.

I've already done a pg_dump of the entire schema but have not dropped /
re-init the DB to another location cos I'm afraid I'll lose some items.
(I've to drop the DB, format the partition, merge it w/ another
partition and re-init the DB then restore the DB from the dump)

sigh.. wish it was easier, (meaning, like SQL Server where one can
detach an entire DB/tablespace and then re-attach it elsewhere)

If you are moving the whole cluster and can afford the downtime, you can shutdown the postmaster, move $PGDATA to a new location and then start postmaster from that new location.

Regards

MP