Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again

От Serge Rielau
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again  (Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Serge Rielau <serge@rielau.com> wrote:
> And sometimes the community DOES go its own way rather than implementing the standard. For example by rejecting the MERGE statement in favor of another syntax and semantic.

That's total nonsense.

MERGE isn't UPSERT….
Peter,
you are misreading what I wrote. I did not allege that PostgreSQL did the wrong thing. And you are essentially confirming that there was debate and MERGE deemed to be not what was wanted. So PG, with reason, went with something not in the standard.

That is precisely my point!

Packages are not modules are not nested schemata either.
And the argument that nested schemata are a no-go because of the standard is invalid for the same reason discarding an option other than MERGE because that’s the only thing in the standard was invalid.

But what irks me in this debate is that any reasoned and detailed argumentation of value of the principle itself is shut down with un-reasoned and un-detailed one-liners.
“I’m not convinced” is not an argument.
Counterpoints require content. Something starting with “because …”

If the community does not believe that there is value in a more refined grouping of objects than a schema the discussion in DOA.
If there is consensus that there is value one can debate about the best semantics and language covering it.

Cheers
Serge