Re: Local postgres manual

От Ben Hancock
Тема Re: Local postgres manual
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/3/23 06:33, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> But sometimes it may be convenient to view the the manual for the
>> version of Postgres that is on the system, right there. Does one
>> exist?
>
> Well, that's a good question, and a new question for me.  I poked
> though the doc makefile and it turns out that:
>
>     make postgres.txt
>
> creates such a file.  Here is the PG 16 version:
>
>     https://momjian.us/expire/postgres-16.txt
>
> Let me know if you want a different Postgres version.

Thanks very much Bruce - this is really helpful! I've never taken a look
at that makefile but will do so.

I will say that, as the manual is quite large, a local GNU Info version
would be great to be able to traverse different sections, etc, more
easily. If that doesn't exist already, I wonder if a tool like `pandoc`
could be employed to generate that.

As others on the thread have suggested, building or fetching the HTML
locally may also work. In terminal environment, I suppose one could use
`lynx` or similar to navigate around.

- Ben