Re: FW: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure

От George Weaver
Тема Re: FW: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure
Дата
Список pgsql-general

<snip>

>The Problem
>On re-installing Postgres, I have not been able to get it to work. During
>re-installation I get an error message to say the program exited with an
>error code, but otherwise appears to be okay. However, when I go into
>pgadmin and enter my password to connect to the server (any password gives
>the same response), I get a popup saying 'Server doesn't listen', could
>not connect, connection refused etc'. The setup defaults to port 5432
>during the install process. I've checked postgresql.conf which has not
>been installed, but I've looked at an old copy that I moved into the data
>folder, and that looks at port 5432. Navicat also fails to connect.

I would suggest that you focus on getting PostgreSQL to install properly and
worry about pulling in your data after this is accomplished.

One option would be to uninstall PostgreSQL, delete the PostgreSQL user, and
delete all references to PostgreSQL from the registry.

> the install program balks at having a data folder that is not empty,

Before trying to re-install PostgreSQL, rename this data directory to
something else so that the new install can proceed with the normal install
defaults.

Once your system is "clean", re-install PostgreSQL using the installer
defaults.

Until you can get PostgreSQL to install correctly there's no point in
messing around with a broken installation.

George

<snip>