Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Christophe Pettus
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Feb 22, 2019, at 15:18, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Getting a solid and resiliant backup to work from a shell script is, imv
> anyway (though I might have a bit of experience, having tried numerous
> times myself and then realizing that it just isn't practical...), a
> downright fool's errand.

The reality, though, is that there are a lot of organizations who have invested time and effort into getting a backup
strategyworking using the existing APIs, and there will be quite a bit of pushback against the version in which the
existingexclusive API is removed.

Some of those will be able to move to non-exclusive backups easily; others won't.  For the ones that can't move easily,
thereaction will not be, "PostgreSQL version x has a safer backup API"; it will be "PostgreSQL version x broke our
backups,so we're not upgrading to it."

Rather than deprecate the existing API, I'd rather see the documentation updated to discuss the danger cases.
--
-- Christophe Pettus
   xof@thebuild.com