Support for arm64 windows is absent - Would be nice to have!

От David Hussey
Тема Support for arm64 windows is absent - Would be nice to have!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi I’m trying to use PosgreSQL from a Qt application but libpq and ODBC binaries are currently unavailable so I can only use x64 applications at present!

It would be good to have proper support for Windows arm64 architecture. At
the very least ODBC connectivity, better still to have libpq available.

As it stands native arm64 applications running on windows simply CANNOT USE
PostgreSQL.

Arm64 ports of existing x64 applications cannot be released (or even built)
until required 3rd party products become available.

BACKGROUND
While it is true that Microsoft don't publish any official sales figures for
Windows 11 arm64 architecture it's pretty clear that since its origins back
in 2017 the usage has increased steadily and is now increasing much more
rapidly. Its not just a market for Parallels VM users (many of whom are
software developers) as today there are an increasing number of laptops and
desktop arm64 PC's from manufacturers including HP and Lenovo. Porting
software to windows arm64 is in most cases just a matter of recompiling with
a different toolchain and it's only awkward little things like the use of
SIMD intrinsics or assembler code that can complicate matters. For some
reason however database connectivity seems to be one of the few thing that
has been overlooked by some 3rd party providers. As it happens, There are
other DBMS providers (beginning with M) who have so far failed to release
arm64 versions. PostgreSQL currently lacks arm64 connectivity and native
binaries. At the end of the day it means that users of arm64 Windows will
likely not be able to use these 3rd party products! I wonder which of these
vendors will be the first?

NB I would have just commented on one of the existing tickets relating to
this BUT instead I get a message about a cooling off period so instead I'll
just use this form! (FAILED!!!)

PS tried to file as bug report but was rejected as considered as not a bug so instead am posting to this mailing list!