Re: Add --check option to pgindent

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Add --check option to pgindent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 19 Dec 2023, at 14:51, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>
> On 2023-12-18 Mo 11:14, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 at 13:42, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>> I think this is pretty much ready to go, the attached v4 squashes the changes
>>> and fixes the man-page which also needed an update.  The referenced Wiki page
>>> will need an edit or two after this goes in, but that's easy enough.
>> One thing I'm wondering: When both --check and --diff are passed,
>> should pgindent still early exit with 2 on the first incorrectly
>> formatted file? Or should it show diffs for all failing files? I'm
>> leaning towards the latter making more sense.
>
> It should show them all.

Agreed.

>> Related (but not required for this patch): For my pre-commit hook I
>> would very much like it if there was an option to have pgindent write
>> the changes to disk, but still exit non-zero, e.g. a --write flag that
>> could be combined with --check just like --diff and --check can be
>> combined with this patch. Currently my pre-commit hook need two
>> separate calls to pgindent to both abort the commit and write the
>> required changes to disk.
>
> Not sold on this. I don't want pgindent applied automatically to my uncommitted changes, but I do want a reminder
thatI forgot to run it. In any case, as you say it's a different topic.

I think we risk making the tool confusing if we add too many options which can
all be combined to suit every need.  The posted v5 seems like a good compromise
I reckon.

Andrew: When applying this, how do we synchronize with the buildfarm to avoid
false negatives due to the BF using the wrong options?

--
Daniel Gustafsson

От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: Add --check option to pgindent
От: Japin Li
Сообщение: Re: Transaction timeout