Re: ORDER BY with EXCEPT?

От David E. Wheeler
Тема Re: ORDER BY with EXCEPT?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Feb 19, 2009, at 5:45 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> "A limitation of this feature is that an ORDER BY clause applying to
> the result of a UNION, INTERSECT, or EXCEPT clause can only specify
> an output column name or number, not an expression."
>
> Why not just say "order by 1" ?

Well, in this case, I wanted the order to be the same as in the array
that was passed.

At any rate, your quotation of this documentation that I obviously
missed answers my question. In the meantime, I got a different version
with a LEFT JOIN to do what I want, so I don't need the EXCEPT at all.
I just posted here because it looked like a bug. And though it's
clearly not, since it's documented, it is kinda weird…

Thanks,

David