Re: restart server on Lion

От Scott Frankel
Тема Re: restart server on Lion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

Problem resolved.  The postgres server now starts automatically when my OSX Lion machine reboots.  Hopefully the
followinginfo will be useful for anyone contemplating a macports installation of PostgreSQL.

The biggest impediment to getting the relaunch behavior I expected was from installing the postgresql84 package, rather
thanpostgresql84-server.  The latter package contains the LaunchDaemon wrapper script that will ultimately relaunch
postgreson reboot; it also apparently corrects the postgres username clobbering that Apple "provides" with PG on Lion.
Furthermore,it prints post-installation and db initialization instructions to the shell, which obviates having to glean
thatinfo from web searches ;)

Note that in my installation, I cleverly broke the LaunchDaemon wrapper's ability to relaunch postgres by making a
minorchange to macport's default database directly structure.  Turns out their postgres initd instructions reflect
pathsthat are hard-wired in the wrapper.  Who knew?

I run PostgreSQL in a closed environment, for development and testing purposes, on my laptop.  Installing a *-server
packageseemed overkill.  Quite the contrary, that's exactly what I should've done from the beginning.

Hope this helps -
Scott

On Jan 30, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Scott Frankel wrote:

> Hi M,
>

> On Jan 30, 2012, at 11:46 AM, A.M. wrote:
>

>> On Jan 30, 2012, at 2:40 PM, Scott Frankel wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> What's the best/correct way to cause the PostgreSQL server to startup automatically when rebooting on OSX 10.7
Lion?

>>> I'm using a macports install of postgres 8.4 and went through a couple grueling days, sudo'd up to my eyeballs, to
restorethe postgres user and have a working installation.

>>> To start the service, I'm currently invoking this on the cmd-line:
>>>
>>>     sudo su postgres -c "/opt/local/lib/postgresql84/bin/pg_ctl -D /opt/local/var/postgresql84/defaultdb -l
/opt/local/var/postgresql84/defaultdb/data/logfile.txtstart"

>>> That's pretty cumbersome for each reboot.  I've also seen references to manually invoking this on the cmd-line:
>>>
>>>     sudo serveradmin start postgres
>>>
>>> But that yields "postgres:error = "CANNOT_LOAD_BUNDLE_ERR"
>>>
>>> Is there an /etc or OSX-specific solution people are using for restarts?  My PG 8.3 server restarted automagically
onOSX 10.5.  While I don't recall setting up anything specifically to make that happen, memory fades...

>> MacPorts includes a launchd plist to handle this. (Perhaps "launchd" is the keyword you need to search.)
>
> Aha!  Nice to know which tree to bark up ;)
>

>> /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.postgresql90-server.plist (for PostgreSQL 9.0, of course)
>> http://od-eon.com/blogs/calvin/os-x-lion-postgresql/
>
> I installed macports: postgresql84 @8.4.10_0 and there's no trace of a postgres launch daemon plist file having been
installedon my machine.  My best guess at this point is that the plist file may only come with the postgresql84-server
@8.4.10port.