Re: Fixing WAL instability in various TAP tests

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: Fixing WAL instability in various TAP tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Sep 28, 2021, at 11:07 AM, Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
> Looking closer at the TAP test, it's not ORDERing the result set from the SELECTs on either node, but it is comparing
thesets for stringwise equality, which is certainly order dependent.

Taking the output from the buildfarm page, parsing out the first test's results and comparing got vs. expected for this
test:

is($primary_result, $standby_result, "$test_name: query result matches");

the primary result had all the same rows as the standby, along with additional rows.  Comparing the results, they match
otherthan rows missing from the standby that are present on the primary.  That seems consistent with the view that the
queryon the standby is running before all the data has replicated across.

However, the missing rows all have column i either 0 or 3, though the test round-robins i=0..9 as it performs the
inserts. I would expect the wal for the inserts to not cluster around any particular value of i.  The DELETE and VACUUM
commandsdo operate on a single value of i, so that would make sense if the data failed to be deleted on the standby
aftersuccessfully being deleted on the primary, but then I'd expect the standby to have more rows, not fewer.

Perhaps having the bloom index messed up answers that, though.  I think it should be easy enough to get the path to the
heapmain table fork and the bloom main index fork for both the primary and standby and do a filesystem comparison as
partof the wal test.  That would tell us if they differ, and also if the differences are limited to just one or the
other.

I'll go write that up....

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Fixing WAL instability in various TAP tests
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Fixing WAL instability in various TAP tests